Instagram lets you post photos and videos on a feed and share your life with your followers, an activity that more than 1 billion people around the world participate in every month. It’s also a great way to catalog your favorite memories, from birthdays and anniversaries to special meals or trips abroad.
But what if you post something on Instagram that you didn’t mean to, or decide later that you no longer want a post to appear on your account? It’s possible to delete an Instagram post in just a few simple steps.
You can also archive posts instead of deleting them, so that they’re visible to you and no one else. There’s no way to recover a deleted post, from you can restore archived ones.
Here’s how to delete or archive your Instagram posts on both your iPhone or Android.
How to delete an Instagram post
1. Open your phone’s Instagram app and, in the bottom-right corner of the screen, tap the profile icon.
2. On your Instagram profile page, find and tap the photo you want to delete.
3. On the photo page, tap the three dots in the upper-right corner of your screen.
4. In the pop-up that appears, select the Delete option.
5. In the next pop-up window that appears, select “Delete” again to permanently remove the photo.
How to archive an Instagram post
Archiving a post will hide it from everyone but you.
1. Open Instagram and ap your profile icon in the bottom-right corner.
2. Select the photo from your feed that you want to archive.
3. Tap the three horizontal dots to the right of your username.
4. Tap “Archive” from the pop-up menu that appears.
And while you can’t undelete a post, you can always un-archive posts. On the “Archive” page, simply tap on a post, click the three-dot menu at the top right of the screen, and select “Show on profile.” This will return the post to your profile page, along with the comments and likes the post accrued prior to your archiving it.